It is important for you to follow these guidelines before surgery to prevent delay or cancellations.
Food and Drink
- DO NOT eat or drink anything after midnight before your surgery, including gum, candy, mints, or drink any water or coffee.
- Undigested food and liquids in the stomach can cause complications, and your procedure will be cancelled or delayed if you forget to follow these instructions
- There may be exceptions depending on your procedure. Please contact our pre-registration department 951-698-4670 for questions.
- Do not drink alcohol for at least 12 hours before your arrival.
- No smoking/tobacco for 24 hours.
Hygiene, Jewelry (including body jewelry)/Valuables
- You may shower; avoid using lotions, oils, perfumes, colognes, or deodorant.
- Avoid Make-up
- DO NOT shave the surgical area.
- You may brush your teeth, remembering not to swallow anything.
- Please leave all jewelry and valuables at home.
Clothing, Personal Items
- Wear loose , comfortable, appropriate clothing and footwear.
- You may be required to remove contact lenses, glasses, hearing aides, or dentures.
- Follow the instructions given to you by your surgeon. You may need to stop NSAIDS, aspirin, blood thinners, and certain herbal medications 1-2 weeks before your surgery. Frequently Asked Questions
- Diabetic patients: Check your blood sugar levels before coming to the center.
- Prior to your surgery, the pre-registration nurse will contact you to provide special instructions and answer any questions you may have regarding your medications.
Notify The Center & Your Surgeon If:
- You have an elevated temperature, cough, cold, vomiting or diarrhea between your last visit to the surgeon and the day of your surgery.
- You suspect you may be pregnant.
- You are taking: diet pills, aspirin, ibuprofen, blood thinners, or certain herbal medicines. You may need to stop taking these 1-2 weeks before your surgery. You can discuss this with your surgeon.
What You Need The Day Of The Surgery:
- Information To Bring: Insurance cards, photo ID, Medicare or Medical Assistance information, numbers and addresses. Check-in and Admission
- Driver: You must plan to have someone drive you home. Do not plan to use taxis, UBER or other public transportation.
- Caregiver: A responsible adult MUST stay with you for 24 hours.
- Legal Guardian: A legal guardian must be in the center AT ALL TIMES for children and dependent adults.
- Care For Children: If you have young children at home for whom you normally care for, plan for someone else to care for them for at least the first 24 hours following your surgery.
- Interpreter: If the patient cannot read, speak English or use sign language, an interpreter is required. If you need assistance arranging for an interpreter, please contact the Scheduling department 951-698-4670 as soon as possible.
- If applicable, bring in any EKGs, CT, Chest X-ray, or KUB films/CDs on your date of surgery.